Responding to NPRMs
Whenever one of the government agencies like the FAA proposes a rule change, which includes the issuance of an Airworthiness Directive (AD), the public is given a chance to comment after a Notice of Proposed Rule Making (NPRM) is issued. Commenting need not be a complicated process and is a good way to make your feelings known to the agencies. The government guarantees that every comment will be considered.
You comments can be made in one of the following ways:
- Electronically through the government-wide rulemaking Web site at http://www.regulations.gov by following the instructions given;
- By Mail to: U.S. Department of Transportation, Docket Operations, M-30, West Building Ground Floor, Room W12-140, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE., Washington DC 20590;
- By FAX to: 1-202-493-2251; or
- By Hand Delivery to: U.S. Department of Transportation, Docket Operations, M-30, West Building Ground Floor, Room W12-140, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE., Washington, DC 20590, between the hours of 9 am and 5 pm, Monday through Friday, except for federal holidays.
The agencies say that the most helpful comments reference a particular part of the proposal, explain the reason for any recommended change, and include supporting data. If the comments are in written form, they request that two copies be submitted.
We have found that the easiest method is to use the DOT Docket Web site using the following instructions:
Find the section called “Search Documents”
- Step 1. Select what Documents to search. Click on “Documents with an Open Comment Period” if you are intending to comment.
- Step 2. Narrow your search by Federal Department or Agency. Entry is optional - If you have the document number to enter in step 4, skip to that step. Otherwise, use the drop-down list and select the agency, e.g. “FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION.”
- Step 3. Narrow your search by Document Type. Entry is optional.
- Step 4. Please select a Category from the drop-down list below and enter a Keyword. Use the drop-down list to select “Document ID” if it is known, or you may search by keywords. In the box following Document ID insert the document number, e.g. if you wanted the ADS-B proposal, enter “FAA-2007-29305.”
- In this case select the radio button: “Exact Phrase.”
- Click the “Submit” button.
- You can now read or print the original documents and reference information plus the comments that have already been filed on this proposal. To read the desired documents, click on the icon for the file type under the heading “Views.”
- To submit your comment, click on the “Add Comments” icon under the heading “Comments Add/Due by:.”
- The information in the blocks under “Submitter Information” is not required but you may insert whatever information you wish to make public.
- You may type your comments into the block under “Public Comment or Submission” or you may attach a document in any of several approved formats (PDF, Text Document, Word Document, Word Perfect and others) by “Browsing” for it on your computer, selecting it and clicking “Add Attachment.”
- Click “Next Step” at the bottom of the page.
You have now made your wishes known to the government agency in a quick, easy and painless process. We suggest that you do this as often as a topic involving your interest is posted.
When finished, please also send your response to the NAAA office by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.