Celebrating 100 Years
OverviewAugust 3, 2021 marks the 100th anniversary of an experiment in Ohio when lead arsenate dust was spread over catalpa trees to kill sphinx moth larvae. Under the direction of the Ohio Department of Agriculture, Lt. John A. Macready, a U.S. Army pilot, made the first application by
aircraft with a modified Curtiss JN-6 “Super Jenny.” The government then utilized aerial application in the Southern states. In 1922, Curtiss biplanes were used to dust cotton fields near Tallulah, LA, to control bollweevils. In 1923, Huff-Daland Dusters, Inc.—the forerunner of Delta Airlines—did the first commercial dusting of crops with its own specially built aircraft.
NAAA is planning a major campaign to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the first aerial application flight and the aerial application industry. This includes a short documentary, a complete history book of the industry and a significant outreach campaign to the public and the media. Our industry
has a great story to tell. It plays a crucial role in helping farmers feed, clothe and provide bio-fuel to the world. It has evolved remarkably in ten decades. As such we continue to grow as an industry today. Our story is the kind of positive lead that can really help broadcast our industry’s image with the world-at-large.
See below for more information on how you can contribute and celebrate!
Contribute and Celebrate
- Share your history! Ag aviation’s 100th anniversary is a great opportunity to promote aerial applicators positive stories that we believe will engage the media and consumers alike. We’d love to hear your story about how ag aviation has impacted your life. Fill out this quick questionnaire https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/agaviation100 for a chance to have your story shared in some of NAAA’s centennial collateral. Submit your photos to email@example.com and they may be featured in video, print, online and social media to celebrate this 100-year milestone.
- Become a 100th Anniversary Sponsor - Click here to view the opportunities. Sponsorship of the 100th anniversary is a great way to show your support of the industry’s longevity and potentially showcase your contributions to the industry. Your level of support provides you the opportunity to be seen for years to come in the book, on the website and social media, at events and in the documentary. Our industry has a remarkable story to tell. It plays a crucial role in helping farmers feed, clothe and provide bio-fuel to the world. And we hope you’ll join us in supporting the 100th anniversary celebration of the aerial application industry.
- Exhibit your aircraft at the 2021 Ag Aviation Expo in Palm Springs, CA. The expo will be held Dec. 6-9, 2021. More details will be available in late 2020 and early 2021. For more information or to confirm confirmation of an airplane, email Lindsay Barber.
- Celebrate at an event
- Tentative: AirVenture 2021: July 26 - August 1, 2021: NAAA and partners will have a booth at AirVenture
- Tentative: August 3, 2021: Event at the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum, Udvar Hazy Dulles Airport Branch
- 2021 Ag Aviation Expo: Dec. 6-9, 2021 (further details will be available in late 2020 and early 2021 here).