NAAREF began a safety program in 2002 called “Fly Safe in July” in which safety reminders were emailed or faxed to operators and pilots on Monday mornings throughout July, which was historically the peak month for ag accidents.
The popularity of these important alerts prompted an expansion to every Monday in July and August, every other Monday in April, May and June and whenever aviation activity warrants additional safety reminders.
2023 Fly Safe Messages
- August 28 – COMPLACENCY AND HIGH TEMPERATURES CAN END YOUR SEASON WITH AN ACCIDENT
- August 21 – COVER CROPS PRESENT A POSITIVE IMAGE FOR THE AG AVIATION INDUSTRY – ENSURE ACCURATE APPLICATIONS TO MAXIMIZE BENEFIT TO ALL
- August 14 – THE PUBLIC IS WATCHING YOU – OPERATE IN A PROFESSIONAL MANNER AT ALL TIMES
- August 7 – NUMEROUS WIRE STRIKE AND HELICOPTER ACCIDENTS INCLUDING TWO FATALITIES IN JULY
- July 31 – IF YOU BELIEVE RECKLESS ENDANGERMENT OF YOURSELF AND THE PUBLIC IS PART OF AG AVIATION, DON’T TAKE THE INDUSTRY DOWN WITH YOU–FIND A NEW CAREER!
- July 24 – FOG OR FIRES – AVOID INADVERTENT INSTRUMENT METEOROLOGICAL CONDITIONS NO MATTER THE CAUSE
- July 17 – NAP TIME < ACCIDENT DOWN TIME
- July 10 – BEWARE OF SMALL-SCALE WEATHER EVENTS SUCH AS DUST DEVILS OR RAPIDLY DEVELOPING THUNDERSTORMS
- July 3 – HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN ABOUT A WIRE?
- July 1 – SPECIAL JULY 1 ST FLY SAFE: JULY IS AG AVIATION’S BUSIEST MONTH FOR HOURS AND ACCIDENTS, BRUSH UP ON YOUR FLY SAFE MESSAGES
- June 26 – DON’T RUSH YOUR RECONNAISSANCE – AVOID SITUATIONAL BLINDNESS BY CONDUCTING MULTIPLE SURVEILLANCE FLIGHTS
- June 19 – ENSURE THE CORRECT PRODUCTS FOR THE JOB ARE GOING IN YOUR AIRCRAFT’S HOPPER
- June 12 – AVOID MID-AIR COLLISIONS AND AIR STRIP ACCIDENTS – COMMUNICATE, FERRY ABOVE FIVE AND INSTALL ADS-B IN YOUR AG AIRCRAFT
- June 5 – 2023 SEASON HELICOPTER AG ACCIDENTS CONTINUE TO BE HIGH
- May 29 – EXPECT INCREASED UAV ACTIVITY THIS SEASON – INFORM UAV OPERATORS IN YOUR AREA TO SAFELY OPERATE NEAR AG AIRCRAFT
- May 15 – NEGLECTING MAINTENANCE CAN RESULT IN LOSS OF LIFE THAT IS PREVENTABLE
- May 1 – AVOID ENGINE FUEL SYSTEM CONTAMINATION
- April 17 – DON’T LET DEMANDING CUSTOMERS TAKE YOUR FOCUS OFF SAFETY
- April 3 – DO NOT FORGET ABOUT WIRES